ApacheDS is an open source project, which provides directory server , which is LDAP v3 compliant. You can download ApcheDS here, which comes with eclipse based LDAP browser + LDAP server. So, you don't need to use extrernal LDAP browsers (eg: JXplorer) to configure your directory server.
- Download , install and start the Apache Directory Studio™ (v1.5.3)
- Go to 'File' menu and click 'New'. Select 'ApcheDS' server. Go to 'next' page.
- Provide a unique name to identify your LDAP server instance.(eg: ServerA) Click 'Finish'
- You will see your newly created server @ servers panel.
- Double click on ServerA's link.You will see a window which lists all options to configure the server.
- At the 'General' tab, you can provide the port numbers for different protocols. Here leave the default port numbers as it is.
- LDAP =10389
- Go to 'servers' panel and click the 'start' button.
- Now, server instance created. We have to create a connection for that server.(ie:ServerA)
- Go to 'LDAP' menu and select 'New Connection'
- Connection name - Connection A
- Hostname - localhost
- Port no -10389 (This is the port number ServerA instance running)
- Click 'Next'.
- Authentication Method - "Simple Authentication"
- Bind DN - "ou=system,uid=admin" (this is the one by default available partition and the user)
- Bind password - 'secret' (default passoword)
- If you provide all the above parameters correctly , your connection will start successfully. You can see the available partitions at LDAP browser.